Tuesday, August 31, 2010

AQLF at the Decatur Book Festival: Persistent Voices, An Anthology of Poets Lost to AIDS


Decatur Conference Center Stage (Ballroom B) Saturday, 10:00 am - 10:45 am

Local poets Franklin Abbott, Megan Volpert, Theresa Davis, Cleo Creech and Collin Kelley read from an anthology of noted poets lost to AIDS along with editor David Groff.




During a recent interview on The New Gay website, Philip Clark commented that:


"Almost without fail, when I uncovered more, I would find out that the poet had died of AIDS. Almost everyone whose work I admired was dead. It really made me think about how impermanent literature can be without an author there to promote it, especially gay written work that has never truly broken into mainstream consciousness. I’ve dedicated myself since then to keeping these writers’ memories alive, and Persistent Voices is a big piece of that. Walta, Essex, Jim, and Tim are all among the book’s contributors, so I’m trying to give back to writers whose words really sustained me during my high school years and beyond."

Read the rest of this interview at The New Gay here.


See a reading by co-editor Philip Clark:



100819 Kirk Read Persistent Voices Poets Lost to AIDS Philip Clark from In Studio on Vimeo.


There's also an excellent interview with David Groff on "Fogged Clarity - An Arts Review" here.



No comments: